This is my husband’s favorite cookie–any time of the year… and I love making an even less sweet version of it for wholesome health-nuts like me!
It has so much fiber, so much protein, and such simple ingredients, you can feel good about making it because it whips up in snap and is rather addictive. Addictive, mind you, not because it bites you with a sugar-high, but because the texture, nutty crunch, and gentle build up to a sweet lingering is satisfying in a “take some time” kind of way.
- 1 1/2 CUP OF FINE ALMOND FLOUR
- 1/3 ORGANIC GRADE B OR DARK MAPLE SYRUP or 3/4 cup if you are a sweet tooth!
- 1 TABLESPOON BOURBON VANILLA BEAN PASTE… or extract if you don’t have…
- 1 HEAPING TABLESPOON BAKING POWDER
- 1 TEASPOON DASHES OF CEYLON CINNAMON
- 1 TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND HIMALAYAN PINK SALT
- 3/4 CUP POWDERED RAW CACAO BUTTER (pounded to powder in mortar and pestle)
- 3/4 CUP SALTED MACADAMIA NUTS
- 3/4 CUP BARU NUTS (I use Barukas brand)
- optional:sea salt chips
WHAT TO DO:
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Place parchment or silicone mat atop baking sheet.
- Pound raw cacao into powder…some small chunks are fine
- Mix dry ingredients
- Add wet ingredients and mix, but don’t over mix into a goopy mess
- Toss in your macadamia nuts and baru nuts
- Mix a bit more
- scoop up into clean hands and roll into ball and slightly flatten to put on baking sheet
- option… use dark cacao butter instead of white for chocolate lovers version
- another option: instead of maple syrup, use a nut mylk, date paste, and monk fruit drops to sweeten along with a bit of mesquite
- another option: top with sea salt chips for savory snack lovers!
- bake 13 minutes and let cool… should have crunchiness that softens once you store it in a canister… ideally, eating it right away has the perfect crunch on the outside and soft inside that makes this a perfect dunking cookie with a side car of your favorite mylk. 🙂
Not kidding when I say this is worth making… for a snack on the go that is hearty and delectable, for making hubby happy…or just feeling good about making a version of a treat that is nutritious as well as delicious!