- 1 cup Indonesian raw cashews (soaked in filter water 8 hours) or you can just skip this and just boil water and pour atop and let sit for 10 minutes.
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tblspn lemon juice (1 small/medium lemon organic only!)
- 2 Tblspn apple cider vinegar or you can try coconut vinegar
- 8 Tblspn tapioca starch
- 1 heaping Tablespn finely powdered nutritional yeast
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt depending on your sodium tolerance
What to do:
- Soak Cashews in filtered water 8 hours (for a Bechamel style sauce) or quick hot water method mentioned in ingredients (for thicker mozzarella like consistency.)
- Drain the cashews, and add them to a blender along with 2.5 cups of filtered water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, salt and tapioca starch. Blend until very super smooth until no lumps! Watery consistency is good.
- Pour the watery mixture into a small saucepan and bring the heat to medium. Stir with a spatula or spoon.
- It will begin to get clumpy. Keep stirring, constantly until suddenly it will become super gooey, stretchy, thick and smooth. Take off heat as soon as it begins to form into one big mass of soft stretchy “cheez.”
- Make prior to knowing how you want to use it… I love it atop pizza before you bake it… or atop lasagna. It will spread best when freshly made.
- THIS WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE KIDS TRY AND EXPLAIN THE SUSTAINABILITY AND HEALTH VALUE OF AVOIDING FACTORY FARMED ANIMAL PRODUCTS AND THE HEALTH VALUE OF PLANTS OVER THE OVERUSE OF DAILY 🙂 Use for simple grilled “cheez” with vegan keto bread… or plop and press down into your pizza slice or spread all over your lasagna as a last step of cooking…
- You can just form and broil a clump of the “cheez” by spraying some olive oil evenly over it and brown by broiling 5-7 minutes.
- Note: for the Bechamel style mentioned above, add a dash of nutmeg and black pepper and definitely a full teaspoon of salt.
- Inspired by NoraCooks!